If you are looking for the best swimwear for pear shaped women, then you are in the right place.
I am so pleased you found me! For the past 17 years I’ve been helping pear shaped women like you, put outfits together that they love wearing, so I know exactly which swimwear will fit and flatter your pear body shape best.
AND, I’m pear shaped, too! So I not only have 17 years experience styling other pear shapes, I also have first-hand experience of what works and what doesn’t, so I totally understand the frustrations you're experiencing. They go something like this...
Well, those frustrations end today!
This post shares everything I’ve learned about finding the best swimwear for pear shapes, along with my top swimwear picks for the pear body shape in 2023, so you can stop stressing about wearing swimwear, and start enjoying the sun and sea!
This is what's in this post 👇
these are the 5 main characteristics of a pear body-shape
If you recognized any of the frustrations I mentioned earlier, the chances are high that you have a pear body shape.
But the info in this post will only work for you if you really do have a pear shape, so before you scroll down and find out what is the best swimwear for the pear body shape, let's check your shape aligns with these 5 characteristics of a pear body-shape:
If you identify those characteristics, then you are probably a pear shape. But if you're still not sure:
- Take my FREE body shape quiz here
- Or you can purchase a Body Shape Analysis for only $27 and I will tell you exactly what your body shape is!
how to choose swimwear that looks good on a pear body-shape
Shopping for swimwear as a pear shape shouldn't be depressing. As a pear shape you have such a beautiful curvy frame that looks gorgeous in swimwear...and some swimwear looks BETTER on a pear shape than on any other shape!
I'm determined to show you how good you can look in swimwear, so the first thing I need to do is explain what you should be looking for (and why) when you're choosing swimwear ⬇
10 things that will help you choose swimwear that looks good on a pear shape
choose styles with a high-waist
Despite what you might think, a high-waist bikini bottom can be really flattering. The high waistline will:
- Highlight and enhance your defined waist
- And draw the eye up and away from your bottom half
I recommend choosing a style with a high leg as well as a high waist (something like this) as doing so will not only narrow your hips and bottom, it will also make your legs look longer which will make you look less bottom heavy.
go for less coverage on the bottom half
I know it's tempting to cover up, but swimwear that covers a larger area can actually make you look larger than you are.
I recommend a 'cheeky' style bikini bottom that offer a little less coverage across your bottom like this bikini
buy separates that can be mixed and matched
Pear body-shapes often wear a different clothing size on the top and bottom, so buying separates gives you the ability to buy 2 different sizes - one for the bikini bottom, and a smaller size for the top.
Buying bikini separates also gives you the freedom to mix and match the best swimwear styles, colors and prints for a pear shape. For example:
- Wearing a dark color on your bottom half, and a lighter, brighter color on your top half will help to make your bottom half look a little smaller, and your top half a little larger - this will make your overall frame look more balanced.
- Wearing a high rise, high leg bikini bottom with a halter neck bikini top will narrow your bottom half and broaden your top half.
- You can also team 2 different prints to create a more balanced frame. Wear horizontal stripes on your top half to broaden you, and combine this with a small ditsy print on the bottom half to narrow your hips.
If you want more tips on dressing to suit a pear shape, check out this comprehensive post I wrote that shares everything you need to know about the pear body shape!
Choose high necklines + halternecks
As a pear shape your shoulders will be narrower than your hips, and this can make your shape look unbalanced, or bottom heavy.
High necklines like this and halter necks like this do a fantastic job of broadening narrow shoulders which balances them with the hips, creating a more balanced looking silhouette.
By choosing swimwear that has a high neck of halterneck you will instantly look more in proportion.
look for styles that tie at the back
One of the issues you may find when looking for the best swimwear for a pear shape, is that bikini tops are too large around the bikini band. If this happens to you, I recommend choosing bikini tops (or one-piece) that you can tie at the back like this.
use print to your advantage
Prints have the ability to minimize (vertical strips and small prints) and emphasize (horizontal stripes and bold prints), so if you can find the right combination like this that swimsuit that has a bold print on the top and a smaller print on the bottom half, you can narrow your hips AND broaden your torso at the same time creating a much more balanced frame.
choose styles that have ruffles and volume on the top half
Any detailing that adds volume to you top half (like this ruffle bikini top) will draw the eye up and away from your bottom half, whilst adding volume to your top half to balance your hips.
consider swimwear that has a small sleeve
Swimwear that has a sleeve (cap sleeve, puff sleeve, ruffle sleeve...) is great for pear shapes as the sleeve will broaden your shoulders to balance your wider hips.
It It also draws the eye up and away from your bottom half.
Choose off the shoulder styles
I love off the shoulder swimwear for pear shapes! The neckline draws a line right across your arms and torso, broadening your top half to balance your bottom half.
go for wide straps, not thin straps
Narrow straps always make narrow shoulders look narrower, and this will make your hips look wider than they are. So avoid wearing swimwear that has spaghetti straps and opt for a wider strap like this bikini instead.
the best bikini styles for a pear shape
Now you know what to look for when choosing the best swimwear for a pear body shape, I can show you exactly what those styles look like, and where to buy them from this season!
These are the best bikini's for pear shapes in 2023
All these bikinis will help to balance your pear shaped frame, highlight your defined waist and showcase your gorgeous curves!
the best swimsuit styles for a pear shape
If you want to know which swimsuits and bathing suits are the best choice for a pear body-shape, keep scrolling down...
These are the best one-piece swimsuits for pear shapes in 2023
These one-piece swimsuits are the best of the bunch this season. They will flatter your curves, create a more balanced silhouette and will showcase your defined waist:
the best swimwear styles for a pear shape - plus size
The best swimwear for pear shaped plus size are swimsuits and bikinis that highlight your waistline, and showcase your curves:
This is the best swimwear for pear shape- plus size in 2023
Looking for the best swimwear for pear body shapes when you're a plus size? I've got you! These are my favorite options this season:
frequently asked questions about swimwear for pear body shapes
Below are some other questions I get asked about choosing swimwear for pear shapes. If you have any others, let me know by getting in touch here.
what swimwear looks best on a pear body-shape?
The swimwear styles that looks best on a pear body shape, are swimsuits and bikinis that balance your bottom heavy frame and show off your defined waistline. Look for styles that:
- Broaden your shoulders to balance your hips. The best styles for adding breadth to narrow shoulders are halternecks, capped sleeves, high necklines, and off the shoulder styles.
- Showcase your defined waist. The easiest way to do this is to choose swimwear that had a waist tie, a band around the waist, a high rise bottom, or sheer paneling / cut out details that draw the eye in to your waist.
- Elongate and narrow your bottom half. Styles that have a high rise and high leg will be the best way to do this.
Want more tips?
Get my Simple Guide To Dressing A Pear Shape for only $65! It will show you exactly what the most and least flattering clothes are for your pear body-shape, so you have some easy rules to follow!
what swimwear is best for wide hips?
The best swimwear for wide hips are styles that have a high waist and a high leg - this will draw the eye away from your hips and up to your waistline, and will elongate your legs.
how do you hide belly fat in a swimsuit?
If you want to hide your belly in a swimsuit, here are some great options for you:
- Ruching across the tummy - this will disguise a tummy and create a little shaping
- Prints are a good option. A print will keep the eye moving, rather than looking at one area, so they do a great job of hiding a belly.
- Go for 'control' swimwear that is designed to slim and smooth. Spanx and Miraclesuit are my go-to's for support swimwear
- And consider a tankini like this
how do I choose a swimsuit for my body-type?
First you want to identify what your body shape is. There are 4 main body-types: Pear shape (aka triangle), Column shape (aka the ruler), hourglass shape (aka figure of 8), and apple shape (aka inverted triangle).
You may have characteristics of two body types (which is totally normal, by the way), I refer to this as having a 'primary' body shape and a 'secondary' body shape.
So if you don't slot neatly into just one body-type category, don't worry. Just choose the one that you align with the most and start dressing to suit that.
You can tweak your clothing choices to suit your secondary shape as you become more confident putting outfits together.
If you don't know what your body shape is, there are 3 things you can do to find out:
- 1Take my FREE body-shape quiz here
- 2Purchase a Body Shape Analysis for only $27 and I'll TELL you exactly what your shape is
- 3Or, head on over to this post for 3 exercises you can do that will help you get a better understanding of your shape.
When you have identified what your primary shape is, you can start to think about the swimwear styles you choose to wear, and how they might change or enhance your proportions and characteristics. For example:
- If you are a pear shape, you might want to choose swimwear that makes your bottom heavy frame look more balanced and in proportion -Halterneck styles, high necklines and high rise bottoms are all great style choices for achieving a more balanced frame
- If you are apple shape, you might want to choose swimwear that makes your top heavy frame look more balanced and in proportion - choosing swimwear that has low necklines a low rise legs will be a great way to achieve this.
- If you are a column shape, you might want to choose swimwear that creates a curvier frame - look for detailing that cinches you in at the waist, like waist ties, belts, and cut out detailing.
- And if you are an hourglass shape, you might want to choose swimwear that maintains your balanced frame, showcases your curves, and supports your bust - choose swimwear that comes in cup sizes and that has detailing to cinch you in at the waist.
Want more tips for dressing your shape?
Grab my Simple Guide To Dressing Your Shape
iF YOU FOUND THIS POST USEFUL, YOU MIGHT LIKE THESE:
Everything you need to know about the pear body-shape
This post shares some of the most powerful styling techniques I’ve developed over the past 12 years to improve the look of my clients (and my own) less flattering clothes.
the best jeans for pear shapes in 2023
Finding jeans that fit well and don't gape at the back of the waist band is a real struggle when you are pear shaped. this post I'm shares
5 tips to help you shop for jeans and 10 jeans styles that stop you from looking more bottom heavy.
find out your true body shape
This post will help you find out which body shape aligns with your shape the most, so you can dress to show it off to it's best, and put a stop to disappointing outfits that steal your confidence!