Find out which body shape aligns with your shape the most, so you can dress to show it off to it's best, and put a stop to disappointing outfits that steal your confidence!
If you put an outfit on in the morning, thinking it looks good...only to catch your reflection later on in the say and realize it doesn’t.
Or you’re you fed up of depressing, fruitless shopping trips where you leave empty handed and thinking that you have a difficult shape because nothing looked how you'd hoped it would, the chances are that you don't understand your shape, and that is making it really difficult for you to choose clothing that shows it off to it's best. But don't worry, you're in the right place!
This post will help you to identify which of the 4 primary body types is most like yours so you can start learning how to dress to make the most of your shape, and create outfits that you enjoy wearing!
what's covered in this post:
- Common characteristics and frustrations
- Links to a Pinterest board for each shape to give you some outfit ideas
- And examples of each shape using 'real' women rather than celebrities
3 things to DO BEFORE YOU TRY TO IDENTIFY YOUR BODY SHAPE.
1/ Try to look at your shape with a fresh pair of eyes
We get so caught up focusing on the parts of our shape that we’re unhappy with, that we often look at our shape in sections rather than as a whole. Because of this, many women have a biased, or unkind opinion of their shape...and this can lead to you thinking you're one shape when in fact you’re another! If this sounds like you. Try to look at your shape with a fresh pair of eyes.
2/ Consider that you may have a secondary body shape
The 4 primary body-type categories are a great way to kick start a better understanding of your shape, but it’s important to note that they’re really quite elementary. And while some women do align perfectly with one of them, the truth is that most women find that their shape overlaps with a second body-type.
So, if you think your shape has characteristics of more than one shape, don't worry. It's totally normal. The chances are that your true body shape is a combination of 2.
To find out more about primary and secondary body shapes, read this article.
3/ Identify your shapes assets
As I mentioned in number 1, we get so caught up focusing on the parts of our shape that we’re unhappy with, and this means we’re unaware of our assets! Think back to the compliments that others have given you about your shape, and think about what you like about your shape. List a couple of assets and then scroll on down!
For more tips on getting a better understanding of your shape, read this post.
WHAT ARE THE 4 PRIMARY BODY SHAPES?
There are 4 general body-type categories:
Scroll down to learn about their common frustrations and characteristics, and when you come across one that you identify with the most, pop on over to it's Pinterest board for some outfit ideas!
also known as inverted triangle, lolly pop and spoon
- You put weight on around your middle, upper and bosom
- You often wear a larger size on your top half
- You have great legs
- You have an average to large bust size
- Your hips are narrower than your shoulders
- And your waist is fairly undefined
- Tops often pull across your bust and shoulders
- Tops sometimes cling to your middle
- It can be a struggle to find dresses that fit both your top and bottom half well
- Skirts and pants might be baggy at the sides
SOME OF MY FAVORITE APPLE SHAPED INSTAGRAMERS...
also known as triangle
- You often wear a smaller dress size on your top half
- You tend to put weight on your bottom and thighs before you put it on anywhere else
- You have a small to average sized bust
- You have a defined waist
- Your hips are wider than your shoulders
- It can be difficult to get dresses that fit both your top and bottom half
- Jeans, skirts and pants often gape at the back of the waist band
- Tight tops sometimes ride or roll up
- Skirts sometimes pull across the hips or catch and spin when you're walking
SOME OF MY FAVORITE PEAR SHAPED INSTAGRAMERS...
also known as triangle
- You tend to be slim and struggle to put weight on
- You'll typically wear the same sized clothing, top and bottom
- You have a small bust
- You have an undefined waist
- And your hips and shoulders are well balanced
- You sometimes struggle to find clothes that fit you well
- You find that some tops and dresses gape a little across the bust
- And you struggle to find clothing that creates shape and curves
SOME OF MY FAVORITE COLUMN SHAPED INSTAGRAMERS...
also known as figure of eight and curvy
- You tend to put on fairly evenly
- You wear the same sized clothing on the top and bottom
- You have a large bust
- Your hips and shoulders are a similar width
- And you have a very well defined waist
- You struggle to find clothes that fit your bust well
- You sometimes feel frumpy in high neck tops
- And you often find that jeans, skirts and trousers gape at the back of the waist band
SOME OF MY FAVORITE HOURGLASS SHAPED INSTAGRAMERS...
If you still aren't sure which body shape you are, take my quiz! 👇
Or, if you're fed up with taking quizzes and want to know, once and for all, what your body-shape is, I can tell you for only $27!